Last Updated: Feb 14, 2022
|Features||Process Usenet Data|
|Free and Paid Version|
|Rar / Par|
Newznab is a web application for processing Usenet data and creating an index. Newznab is written using php, pear and mysql, which runs on linux, windows and mac, and is available in two versions.
If you’ve ever wanted to run your own USENET indexing site, Newznab may be what you’re looking for. An open source solution that is, as described by some users, a clone of Nzbs.org, it allows the creation of a USENET index on even a modest server. There are already popular sites running this software and, with the many changes that have gone on where USENET index sites are concerned, there is certainly room for new index sites all the time.
Newznab runs on Apache server, making it available to just about everybody with a server to spare. According to reports, those who have smaller servers may want to give serious consideration as to whether or not they want to host the USENET index. Users who have tried to create their own USENET indexer have oftentimes found that backfilling a group for any length of time is very slow and takes quite a large amount of time. For those who simply want to experiment and who haven’t any desire to create a USENET index for public consumption, Newznab provides an ideal way to do it.
- Message Grouping
- Sphinx Integration
- SEO Friendly
- NZB Creation
- Simple CMS Features
Free vs Paid
Free Classic Newznab Version
Newznab comes in two versions. Newznab Classic which is free and contains all the features neccessary to build a Usenet Indexing site. Newznab Classic is packaged with the GPLv3 license, you can download for free (below) and start indexing usenet, right now.
Paid Newznab Plus Version
Newznab plus includes the regularly updated, premium edition of newznab while incorporating many additional features including but not limited to the following.
- Increased support
- Thumbnailing from available archive types
- Memcache/apc support
- Full rar archive file listings
- Mediainfo integration
- CMS type role limits
- Sphinx MySql search support
Popular Sites Using Newznab Plus
- NZBFinder : Free 5 NZBs & 25 API Calls. 10, 20, 35 Euros
- UsenetCrawler : Best Free Account Offering. Over 500 Groups Crawled
- NZBgeek : Open and Free to Register. Free and Paid Service
- NZBGrabit : Free 5 .ZIP Downloads. Arcade, and Photo Editor Included
- NZB.su : Open NZB Site. API Integrations
- FileSharingTalk : Forum-Based Site. Option to Donate
- GingaDaddy : Open NZB Site. Unlimited NZBs and APIs for VIPs
- Newz69 : Free NZB Site. 40 NZBs & 1000 Calls
- NZBNDX : Indexes Over 1.8 Million Usenet Posts. Free 10 NZBs Daily
- abNZB : Free and Paid Membership. Over 4 Million NZBs Indexed
Alternatives to Newznab
If you’re in the mood to experiment, Newznab may prove to be a good way to test the capacity of your hardware and to put together a decent USENET index for your own use, even if you don’t end up sharing it with anybody else.