Last Updated: Mar 30, 2019
|Price||$7.95 / Month|
|Free Trial||14 Days / 10 GB|
|Free VPN Access|
US based USENET provider UsenetServer has been in business since 1998 and has a reputation for high quality, fast speeds and low prices. UsenetServer runs and maintains their own servers throughout the USA and Europe, so you can expect high-completion rates and stable high-speed connections in most locations around the world.
UsenetServer also offers among the best retention available anywhere, and they have continued to grow their retention for years without increasing the cost of their USENET access plans. If you need to access older articles posted to USENET, this service is highly recommended as other tier-1 USENET access providers often only provide a few months of retention and with lower completion rates. At the time of this publication, UsenetServer stores close 11 years of retention across all text and binary newsgroups with 99.99% article completion.
One other notable feature we like about UsenetServer is that all plans, including their free trial, include unlimited access to their Global Search feature. This is a USENET search engine that allows you to search for articles across all 100,000+ newsgroups, then create as many NZBs as you’d like to feed into your newsreader for processing. In addition, all UsenetServer annual plans come with a free zero-log VPN that includes unlimited usage per month (Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android apps are also included).
UsenetServer Quick Summary
- $7.95 / Month for UsenetReviewz.com visitors with a yearly signup
- Normal price is $19.94 - UsenetReviewz.com visitors save 60% for life
- Fast, reliable and independent backbone
- US and EU server farms
- Global Search feature (i.e. NZB Search engine) that allows you to search for files on USENET and create your own NZBs
- 4132 days of binary retention and growing (most offered by any USENET provider)
- Unlimited USENET access
- Uncapped speeds – other providers will limit download speeds
- Free zero-log, unlimited-use VPN service included with any yearly USENET plan
- 20 SSL-secured connections
- 14 Day / 10 GB Free Trial for first time users (no speed or retention caps, also includes access to the NZB Search engine)
- Compatible with all popular Usenet automation apps like Sonarr, Radarr, Sickbeard and CouchPotato.
- Customer support available in English, Dutch, German and French
UsenetServer’s text and binary retention is currently at 4132 days, which is among the best retention rates you can get anywhere. In comparison, many other Usenet providers offer only a few months of retention. This makes it impossible for you to access articles posted older than just a few months ago. With UsenetServer, you will be able to access articles posted 11+ years ago. This is a major standout feature and one of the reasons why UsenetServer is one of our top recommended USENET providers.
There are a couple other features to note about UsenetServer’s retention:
First, UsenetServer’s full retention is available across all of their global server clusters and across all of their newsgroups, whereas you might find with other providers that deeper retention is only available on select servers and/or on select newsgroups.
Second, UsenetServer has been at the front of the pack in text and binary retention for many years now and has continued to grow their retention to this day. This is a very expensive process and one that we much prefer to see when deciding to recommend a USENET provider to our readers.
UsenetServer offers several different pricing tiers for retail users. However, if you sign up through UsenetReviewz, you will receive the best deal that UsenetServer offers. The deal is $7.95/mo for an annual plan (normally $239.28), which is a 60% discount, on UsenetServer’s top-end plan. This discount automatically applies for the lifetime of your account and gets you unlimited downloads, unlimited speed, access to all of USENET servers and retention, SSL-encrypted connections, a free zero-log VPN account, and unlimited access to their NZB Search feature.
Retail Pricing for UsenetServer
|Name||Price||Downloads||Free Trial||VPN Included|
|Yearly Plan||$7.95 / Month||Unlimited||Yes||Free|
|3 Month Plan||$8.95 / Month||Unlimited||Yes||(+$4.99/mo)|
|1 Month Plan||$14.95 / Month||Unlimited||Yes||(+$4.99/mo)|
Free Trial Info
UsenetServer offers a 14 day/10 GB free trial with all of their retail plans. This free trial will get you access to all servers along with full retention, uncapped speeds with SSL-secured connections, and unlimited access to their NZB Search engine called Global Search. If you decide that UsenetServer isn’t right for you, you can cancel any time before 14 days or 10 gigs of transfer and you will not be charged for the plan.
Please note: the free trial offer is not included with UsenetReviewz.com’s 60% off discounted special pricing, so if you want to get the best price for UsenetServer and feel confident with our recommendation, we recommend going with the lifetime discount since it is available to new users only.
Special Offers / Coupons
By signing up through our website, you can avoid the retail pricing and if you sign up for a year not only can you get the price down to $7.95 / month but also included is UsenetServer’s VPN client.
- Unlimited downloads
- Uncapped download speeds
- Access to all servers
- Access to all retention
- Access to all newsgroups
- Unlimited access to the NZB Search feature called Global Search
- 99.99% article completion
- Free zero-log VPN account (free desktop and mobile apps included)
During testing, our download speeds maxed out at our full 50 Mbps line. The screenshots below illustrate the sustained connection speeds utilizing our full bandwidth while connected from a location in South America to a USENET server in North America.
The discounted special offer available through UsenetReviewz gets you up to 20 SSL-secured connections. This applies to any of UsenetServer’s USENET servers and should be plenty to maximize the bandwidth included in your ISP package. For example, we maximized our connection speed with 8 simultaneous connections, although 20 connections are allowed.
That said, it is important to note that the ideal number of connections will vary for everyone and it’s based on many different variables. Therefore, we recommend testing connections speeds with varying number of connections enabled to find the optimal setup for you.
News Servers / Ports / Configuration
In the majority of cases, configuring a newsreader with your UsenetServer account is as simple as entering the hostname news.usenetserver.com and port 563 along with your UsenetServer username and password. DNS will then automatically route your connection to the server that is geographically closest to you.
For advanced newsreader configuration needs, please reference the following server information.
Standard NNTP Ports: 20, 23, 25, 119, 3128, 7000, 8000 and 9000
SSL Ports: 563, 443 and 8080
IPv4 NNTP servers
- news.usenetserver.com (recommended geographic auto select hostnames)
- news-us.usenetserver.com ( United States hostnames)
- news-eu.usenetserver.com (European hostnames)
IPv6 NNTP servers
- news6.usenetserver.com (recommended geographic auto select hostnames)
- news-us6.usenetserver.com ( United States hostnames)
- news-eu6.usenetserver.com (European hostnames)
Note: while currently not all USENET newsreaders support IPv6 its good to know that UsenetServer is thinking of the future.
Frequently Asked Questions for UsenetServer
- Which package should I pick ? We recommend the Usenet discount available exclusively through UsenetReviewz. The annual option gets you a 60% lifetime discount on UsenetServer’s High-Speed account that includes unlimited downloads, uncapped speeds, access to all NNTP servers and retention, 99.99%+ article completion, unlimited access to the NZB Search engine (called Global Search), and a free zero-log VPN account.
- What are the benefits of using a VPN ? There are several benefits of using a VPN. For example, a VPN will anonymize 100% of all your web/email/streaming traffic, secure unsecured wifi hotspots, and will even allow you to circumvent geo-IP censorship and restrictions. When you sign up for an annual account with UsenetServer, you will get a free, unlimited-use, zero-log VPN account with Windows, MacOSX, iOS and Android apps included.
- Does UsenetServer include a Newsreader? UsenetServer does not include a bundled USENET newsreader. However, it does include an NZB Search engine called Global Search. If you want a USENET service with a bundled Newsreader, then you may want to consider checking out Newshosting.
- How do I search USENET and find the content I am looking for? All UsenetServer accounts, including the free trial, include unlimited access to an NZB Search engine called Global Search. This feature allows you to search for articles posted across all UsenetServer newsgroups, select the articles you want, then create as many NZBs as you would like, which you can then send to your newsreader for processing. If that doesn’t work for you then check out UsenetReviewz.com’s list of NZB sites.
- Can I pay via Paypal? Yes. Paypal is supported along with all major credit cards.
- Any more discounts available ? UsenetServer may at times offer Black Friday discounts, if you can afford to wait. At the time of this review publication, none currently are available. The best offer currently available will get you 60% off for life. You can also join our mailing list to stay informed on future deals.
UsenetServer USENET Search Client
UsenetServer USENET search allows you to search and filter USENET messages and create NZB files.
UsenetServer has a USENET search interface that allows you to search and filter USENET posts across all newsgroups, then create your own NZB files. You can then feed these NZBs into your newsreader for instant processing.
All UsenetServer accounts, including the free trial, gives you unlimited access to the USENET search feature. Once you have an account with UsenetServer, you can access Global Search by logging into control panel, then clicking the Global Search link at the top of the page.
UsenetServer’s VPN Client
UsenetServer includes a free, full featured VPN client when you sign up for the yearly USENET plan. If you prefer to subscribe to a monthly account instead, a VPN account is available as an add-on for $4.95 / month. It’s not as good a value as being included free with an annual account, but $4.95 per month is still cheap for unlimited VPN considering most comparable VPN accounts will run you around $10 per month.
UsenetServer’s VPN client details
- Unlimited VPN use with no speed throttling
- Connect to over 105+ server locations around the world
- No limits on the number of times you switch servers or IP addresses
- Secure, anonymous IP addresses
- Windows, MacOSX, Android, and iOS apps included
- Easy-to-use VPN apps
- Linux-compatible with OpenVPN config files (included)
- Support 4 different VPN protocols
- NAT firewall built into the client to secure your connection
UsenestServer customer support is available 24x7 via email. To contact their Support team, email firstname.lastname@example.org. You will immediately get an auto-notification to confirm that your email has been received along with a ticket number. Following that, you will get a personal response from a customer support agent.
You can contact the UsenetServer support team via email at email@example.com. They are available 24x7 and you should get a timely, professional response.
UsenetServer states on its website that “We do not monitor which newsgroups you post to or download from or what you put in news articles that you post.” UsenetServer also formally states that they “will not release any customer information unless ordered to do so by a court of law”. That said, if you are looking for an additional layer of privacy and need a USENET provider that offers Bitcoin payments, you may want to take a look at PureUSENET.
Note: with any USENET provider you will need to have a valid email address associated with your account.
UsenetServer accepts all major credit cards, debit cards, and Paypal.
UsenetServer is one of our top recommended USENET services. They have been providing great USENET access since 1998, own and operate their own infrastructure with multiple server farms, provide among the best retention and completion rates available anywhere, and deliver great, consistent speeds.
If you are looking for good overall quality and also need access to older USENET posts, UsenetServer is a great choice. You will also get a 60% lifetime discount through UsenetReviewz, which will get you unlimited downloads, uncapped speeds, unlimited access to their NZB Search feature called Global Search, as well as a free zero-log VPN (Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android apps included).