Last Updated: Mar 23, 2019
|Price||$11.95 / Month|
|Free Trial||10 Days or 25 GB|
XS Usenet is headquartered in the Netherlands. They offer an unlimited USENET access package, along with an add-on VPN.
- Unlimited Speed and Downloads
- EU Servers
- Bitcoin Accepted
- SSL (Privacy Protection)
- VPN Add-On
XS Usenet offers 1100 days of retention on its servers. This is approximately half of the retention figures our best providers offer.
There’s only one package available from XS Usenet, which includes unlimited downloads and download speed. You can add VPN to the service for an additional $2.99 per month.
Free Trial info
There’s currently no secure free trial available from this provider.
Special Offers / Coupons
We don’t have any special offers to share from this provider, but we’ll be sure to share with our readers if we do.
XS Usenet did well in testing. If you have trouble with speed, you can contact their tech support or check with your ISP. Most USENET services are very fast.
XS Usenet offers 50 connections with its subscription offering, but most users will be able to get away with fewer than 20 and still max out their bandwidth.
News Servers / Ports / Configuration
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: Are free, non-SSL USENET accounts safe?: Not in our opinion. There are far too many ways your privacy can be compromised online. In addition to privacy concerns, some ISPs throttle USENET traffic, which will seriously limit your download speeds. We recommend that you always connect with SSL and that you not use unencrypted connections, even on free accounts.
- Q: What’s a VPN and should I have one?: VPNs—Virtual Private Network—are products that are used to enhance privacy online. They provide the same type of encryption that SSL connections to your USENET server offer, but VPNs provide that protection to any of your network activities, rather than just your USENET. You should have one, in our opinion, but our best providers offer better deals on VPN service to go along with your USENET subscription.
- Q: Does this company have tech support in English?: Yes. They provide tech support in English and their FAQ is well-written and easy to follow. You shouldn’t have any problems with language barriers.
- Q: I’m in the Americas. Will the time difference affect me?: It might if you’re looking for tech support, but most USENET providers are very good about remaining available around the clock. USENET, just like the Internet, is a 24-hour operation, and most companies make sure their customers can get help whenever they need it.
- Q: Can I use any newsreader with this service?: Yes. Most USENET services have no restrictions on what newsreaders you may use. All you need to do is configure your newsreader to match the instructions given at the site. The server address for the SSL-enabled server this company offers is provided below, as well.
- Q: Is Bitcoin secure?: Bitcoin is a better privacy option than credit card payments, which is why a lot of people choose to pay for services. Using it is very similar to cash. There are other cryptocurrencies, as well, but this provider only accepts Bitcoin, which is common among USENET companies that accept cryptocurrency at all.
- Q: Is USENET different than the Internet?: Yes. USENET has been in popular use longer than the Internet. While you get access to your USENET service through the broadband connection provided by your ISP, just as you get your access through the Internet, your ISP usually doesn’t provide USENET access. They used to, at one time, but it’s not common any more. Remember, however, that USENET is not available if your broadband connection is down.
- Q: Why is my USENET service faster with SSL turned on?: Some USENET users get faster speed with SSL because their ISPs throttle NNTP traffic. Confused yet? It’s not that hard to understand. Essentially, USENET allows people to download binaries—files—very quickly and ISPs don’t want those users hogging all their bandwidth downloading files, so they throttle USENET traffic. If you’re on SSL, your ISP can’t see that you’re using USENET, so they don’t throttle the traffic. We recommend always using SSL, even if it makes your connection a bit slower, which isn’t really likely. SSL is about privacy, and privacy is something we think you should care about.
There’s a knowledgebase on the XS Usenet site where you can get information for the most common questions. You can also email support from the web form located on their website.
XS Usenet B.V.
3208 KA Spijkenisse
XS Usenet only collects the information necessary to process payments. They do not log your USENET service.
You can pay for your service with Bitcoin or major credit cards.
XS Usenet offers a good subscription package, although their prices are higher than our best providers. Nonetheless, their unlimited package cost is comparable to what some companies charge for limited plans, so it goes in their favor that they do stay competitive with other companies in that regard. We still find our best providers to have better prices for higher levels of service, however.
The VPN add-on is something we highly recommend if your chosen provider offers it. Many of our best providers do. VPNs protect all the network traffic on your computer, which is great for privacy. Remember that, if you start downloading USENET resources like NZBs from Internet sites, that download is not necessarily encrypted. Some NZB indexers don’t use HTTPS on their websites, so your traffic is visible to your ISP or anyone else watching. With a VPN, that traffic is secure, and that’s why we recommend having a VPN so strongly. It’s worth the modest extra cost and, for most people, buying a VPN subscription packaged with USENET, as offered by this provider, as well as Newshosting, Tweaknews, and UsenetServer, will be cheaper than buying VPN by itself.
Check out our best providers for more information on VPN options. We like that XS Usenet offers VPN, but our top providers are still better deals all around.
Altenatives To XSUsenet
|Newshosting||$8.33||Best Price / Free Newsreader|
|UsenetServer||$7.95||NZB Search / Fast Speeds|
|Eweka||€7,50||Best EU Provider / Lifetime Discount|
|Easynews||$9.98||Easy Web App / File Previews|
|TweakNews||€7,50||Free Newsreader / Free VPN|
|PureUSENET||€6.63||Good EU Provider / Free SSL|
|XLned||€7.39||Fast Speeds / EU Servers|