Last Updated: May 30, 2022
|Price||$19.95 / Month|
|Features||Free Usenet Server|
|Option for Paid Service|
UsenetMax is primarily a free Usenet service provider limited to 128 kbps download speed and just 3 connections. However, you have the option to subscribe to a paid service to lift the speed cap and increase the number of connections to 12. Their website does not disclose if you get unlimited speed with a paid service and they also do not disclose their retention rate.
UsenetMax Quick Summary
- Free Usenet server
- Limited features for free service
- Capped speed at 128 kbps for free service
- Limited to 3 connections for free service
- Option for a paid service
- Paid service lifts speed cap
- Paid service increases connections to 12
- Undisclosed retention rate
- Payment option: Credit Cards
- SSL encryption available
- Support via email
- Email support to add a newsgroup
Unfortunately, UsenetMax does not disclose both their text and binary retention rate. This is a big problem since retention is a huge deciding factor when choosing a Usenet service provider.
While UsenetMax is a free Usenet service, you have the option to subscribe to a paid service that comes with uncapped speed and a higher number of connections. Pricing are as follows:
- 30 days high-speed download - $29.95 one-time charge
- Monthly recurring bill - $19.95 monthly recurring
- 72 hours high-speed download - $5 one-time charge
Free Trial Info
As previously mentioned, UsenetMax can be used completely free for as long as you want. Please be reminded, however, that when you are using their free service, your speed is capped and the number of connections are limited.
Special Offers/ Coupons
There are no special offers from UsenetMax. For possible future promotions, check back with us.
When using UsenetMax’s free service, your speed is capped at 128 kbps. You will be able to max out this speed but of course this also relies on how fast your internet connection is. To remove the speed capping, you can subscribe to a paid service. When using their paid service, you get faster speed but it is unclear if there is also a certain capping or if UsenetMax offers unlimited speed.
Their free service comes with 3 connections. To increase the number of connections to 12, you must subscribe to a paid UsenetMax service.
News Servers/ Ports/ Configuration
- Server: news.usenetmax.com
- Connections: 3 (up to 12 for a premium account
- Standard Port: 119
- SSL Port: 563 - make sure to check the SSL box on your downloading software
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why are there speed limits on a UsenetMax account?
A: Similar to a free trial with other Usenet providers, UsenetMax limits their speed to 128 kbps since, as a free service, it may congest traffic with the number of users who may use their service for free. You may get higher-speed when you purchase a premium account.
Q: What is UsenetMax’s retention rate?
A: Unfortunately, UsenetMax does not disclose their retention rate. However, ideally you should look for a provider that offers a high retention rate to be able to get older files. The best Usenet service providers have about 4000+ days of binary retention.
Q: Are 3 connections enough for Usenet access?
A: UsenetMax free service comes with 3 connections. According to their site, 3 connections should be enough for your Usenet access and more than 3 “rarely improves anything”. However, UsenetReviewz recommends going for a Usenet provider that offers 20-40 connections.
Q: Can you add a newsgroup when using a UsenetMax service?
A: To add a newsgroup you should email UsenetMax support.
Q: Are multiple free accounts allowed?
A: Only one free account is permitted per individual, household, or IP address. Multiple free accounts will not get you faster speed, but might break the upgrade function for your account requiring manual technical intervention.
Customer support is limited to email support. No other source of support can be found on the UsenetMax site, not even an FAQ page.
Privacy information is as follow: (as seen on their website)
- When you first connect to the server, a log entry is made showing your user name and IP address.
- When you disconnect, a log entry is made showing your user name and the number of bytes downloaded.
- No log entry is ever made of the groups which you select, or the specific articles which you download. The only activity which is logged while your are connected are NNTP commands which cause an error message on the server.
- The content of your posts is public, including whatever information you or your posting software places in the header.
- Log entries are made on the server showing your username and IP address. This information, as well as any other subscriber information that we have, will be turned over to law enforcement upon receipt of a subpoena.
You can pay for a premium account using your credit card. Payments are processed securely on the Stripe website
While it is great that UsenetMax offers free service for Usenet users, their premium, paid account is not something that we can recommend. First of all, it is quite disappointing that there is no retention information on this Usenet provider. How fast their service is is also unknown and they only state that paid accounts come with high-speed downloading but it is unclear if there is a certain speed capping that comes with it. And while 12 connections may be enough, it is still lower than the best Usenet providers today. That being said, you can opt to just stick to their free service but be reminded that the speed that comes with it is just 128 kbps and only comes with 3 connections. You will, most likely, find this unsatisfying and you will probably opt for a paid service. If that is the case, might as well check out free trials from top Usenet providers to test out their service and then subscribe if they satisfy your needs.
Altenatives To UsenetMax
|Newshosting||$8.33||Best Price / Free Newsreader|
|UsenetServer||$7.95||NZB Search / Fast Speeds|
|Eweka||€7,00||Best EU Provider / Lifetime Discount|
|Easynews||$9.98||Easy Web App / File Previews|
|TweakNews||€7,50||Free Newsreader / Free VPN|
|PureUSENET||€5.97||Good EU Provider / Free SSL|
|XLned||€7.49||Fast Speeds / EU Servers|