Overview of great Usenet mobile applications December 6, 2010
Since the mobile internet access is not to be ignored anymore, it is not unexpected that Usenet has also gone mobile. As a result, several great Usenet mobile applications are available, where versions for some popular mobile devices exist. It is the truth, though, that many mobile devices are currently not fast enough to handle something more advanced than textual newsgroups, so some users might find this limitation a bit frustrating.
The listing of some popular applications follows:
- NewsTap is a powerful Usenet newsreader for the iPhone and the iPod Touch, created by Alexander Clauss. Software is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, requires iOS 3.0 or later. NewsTap has costs $3.99.
- PhoNews is a simple newsreader for Usenet news, made for iPhone as well. PhoNews supports multiple servers and newsgroups at the same time. Software is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, requiring iOS 4.0 or later. PhoNews is free.
NZB Mobile is the NZB Usenet client for Windows Mobile and Pocket PC, offering with SSL support. It requires Windows Mobile 5, 6, 6.1, 6.5, 6.5.3 (with touch screen) and .Net Compact Framework 3.5 or higher. Some other features are multi server configuration, file explorer integration to handle NZB files, finger-friendly UI, multiple connections for faster downloading, colored file extension support and other. NZB Mobile is not free, having price of $14.95.
- Mews is a Usenet/NNTP client for Windows Mobile. Its intuitive user interface allows user to easily download and read articles from just about any public NNTP host. Some features Mews has are:
- offline reader: No internet connection is required while articles are read
- articles can be downloaded over any type of internet connection (e.g. ActiveSync/Windows Mobile Device Center, dial-up, GPRS, EDGE, HSDPA, WiFi, etc.)
- fully supports attachments: Offers & opens any file type your device is capable of opening, including the ones that are handled through 3rd party programs like e.g. pdf
- fully supports all character sets present on your device, so a e.g. UK English device can correctly display articles in almost any European language
- Mews is freeware software.
Share This Webpage