VyprVPN is a brand new, technically advanced line of defense against online privacy invasions. VyprVPN will give you a solid layer of privacy protection that is traditionally not available with typical Internet security software. If you are tried of your ISP snooping in on what you are doing or do you live outside of the USA and want to watch a geo restricted website? If so, then you are going to like VyprVPN!!
What is VyprVPN?
VyprVPN is a virtual private network service created by Giganews’ sister company GoldenFrog. VyprVPN is either available for Giganews Diamond members or available by itself for $15 / month.
If you are unfamiliar with VPN technology, VyprVPN encrypts all of your data between your ISP and the VyprVPN servers (located in the USA, Europe, etc). So effectively your data, corresponding searches and all activities online appear to from an IP address either in the USA, Germany, UK, etc. You choose your end point.
- Private web surfing, emailing, im chats and Usenet newsgroup reading
- Privacy and more protection against from ISP, wireless, or neighborhood eavesdropping.
- You can choose a US or European online identity
- Excellent protection from data eavesdropping and identity theft in public area (Wi-Fi hotspots), iPhones, PDAs, and the standard broadband Internet
- Use all the same applications you normally use with no restrictions
How it Works
You signup for Giganews Diamond plan and follow the directions ( they depend on your computing platform ) to establish an encrypted connection to the USA or Europe.
Installing VyprVPN is now easy due to the easy install client that is available. Personally, for my testing I was running Windows 7 and I got VyprVPN up and running in a few minutes and left it connected all night with no problems. As Goldenfrog states on their website, once your online traffic reaches the VyprVPN servers, it’s stripped of your Internet Protocol (IP) address, tagged with a VyprVPN IP address, and sent to its final destination on the Internet. Now hackers and identity thieves don’t see your identity associated with an email, for example, they see VyprVPN.
VPN Setup and Configuration
Here is how you would manually setup VyprVPN to work on your computer for Windows 7. As you can see its not too hard. Check out our video below where we demonstrate.
- Open Network and Sharing Center in the Control Panel
- Go to the Windows Menu, then Control Panel
- Click on Network and Internet
- Click on Network and Sharing Center
- Click Setup a new connection or network
- Choose Connect to a workplace then Next
- Click Use my Internet Connection (VPN)
- Enter a hostname in the Internet address:field: ie us1.vyprvpn.com (for Los Angeles)
- Type VyprVPN in the Destination name: field
- Check Don’t connect now then Next
- Type in your Giganews Username and Password in their respective fields; leave Domain blank
- Check Remember this password
- Click Create and then Close
VyprVPN APP in Action – Version 1.3.0 released – August 2012
You can see here above that you can choose the various endpoints.
Above notice the options to choose protocols , to re-connect when the VPN connection drops, and to launch when the operating system launches.
Above is how the VyprVPN application appears minimized in the Windows taskbar.
VPN Speed Test
Check out our video below of VyprVPN in action. Here are some images from a speed test if you dont want to watch video.
Normal speedtest to Philadelphia – I am presently located in Chile while doing this speed test.
Speedtest with VyprVPN to a server in Philadelphia
( Chile to New Jersey IP to Philadelphia)
Speedtest with VyprVPN to a server in Amsterdam
( Chile to Amerstedam IP to Philadelphia)
If you want VyprVPN to start up when you run your computer and you are using windows xp, vista and / or windows 7, then you can use the program rasdial.
- When you first create your VPN connection name it vyprus (see below)
- Create a batch file and call it vyprus.bat
- syntax for vyprus.bat would be
- @echo off
- rasdial.exe vyprus username password (name your VPN connection some
- put this shortcut in your startup folder
Possible VPN error messages
The Windows 800 error is a generic “can’t connect” error. Sometimes its firewall. Sometimes its transit network. It can even be caused by wireless routers. It’s essentially a message that says, “I tried to connect but heard nothing back,” and since the service wasn’t down and we didn’t see any indication of large numbers of customers having connectivity issues during that time, it was probably something more closely associated with your end of the system than ours.
When things like this happen, try pinging the two VPN addresses (us1.vyprvpn.com and eu1.vyprvpn.com) and if they ping, try telneting to port 1723, which is the PPTP control port. From a Windows command prompt, that command would be:
telnet us1.vyprvpn.com 1723
If it connects, the screen usually goes black, and then it will disconnect in about ten seconds, returning your prompt. If it doesn’t connect, then it will just display a ‘trying’ message on the prompt line.
Your best best however to visit the VyprVPN newsgroup on Giganews giganews.vyprvpn
VyprVPN Speed Limits
A very smart engineer on the VyprVPN newsgroups had this to say :
Speeds with VyprVPN are almost entirely limited to window sizes and latencies. The larger your latency, the larger your window size needs to be. The number of people using the service at any given time doesn’t affect speeds. The amount of horsepower behind this system is ridiculously larger than is necessary
VPN Service Locations
VyprVPN’s success and popularity has resulted in multiple new server locations. If you are using an old hostname then you might get errors also.
Here are the correct server locations for VyprVPN.
- United States – Washington, D.C.
- United States – Los Angeles, CA
- United States – Austin, TX New!
- Netherlands – Amsterdam
- France – Paris New!
- United Kingdom – London
- Germany – Frankfurt New!
- Asia – Hong Kong
GoldenFrog is a sister company to Giganews and like Giganews VyprVPN continues to improve the performance VyprVPN service and corresponding servers.
If you are already a diamond Giganews member then definitely take advantage of the VPN service. It is top quality.
If you are still unclear as to what exactly a VPN service is and does then take a look at the video below.